Monday, February 9, 2009

A "Senior" Moment


It seems that seniors are utterly disconnected from the rest of life on Quinnipiac's campus. Of course, as members of the class of 2009 (it is indeed 2009 already), we have "had" our four years here at Quinnipiac where in which we were able to enjoy all the social benefits of life on the Mount Carmel Avenue campus. Still, it is difficult not to become sentimental, nostalgic, or even frustrated that it seems our carefree days are rapidly approaching what could be described as our rear view.


This was especially evident to me at least when I was walking one day to class from Hogan Road lot. In this walk, one must pass through the undergraduate living spaces of campus that line "Dorm Road" (or as we are now supposed to say {although nobody really does}: Bobcat Way.) In years past, I was hardly able to make the trek from one end of Dorm Road to another without running into at least four people with whom I was aquainted, and in most cases at least two people with whom I was friends.


Suddenly a senior, I found myself making the walk seemingly alone. I passed by a multitude of people, but alas they were all unfamiliar faces. All carefree freshmen, sophomores, and juniors, secure in the fact that they still had, at the very least, one more year in which to enjoy their time at college, and postpone the inevitability of leaving what so many describe as "the best years of their lives."


There is, of course, an old adage that "you don't know what you've got until it's gone." In my case, I do know what I have, and therefore it is all the more difficult to face the fact that in a matter of weeks, it will be gone, and gone forever. My field of work places little to no value on postgraduate study, and therefore unlike some, I cannot spend my next two years maintaining some semblance of my undergraduate years by still living in my Hamden apartment and spending my nights at the local hangouts. Very soon, it will be time to move on.


I will cherish that time I have left here at Quinnipiac, looking back fondly at the great times that I have had. Still, I will constantly strive in the time that I have left not only to make sure that I make the very best of my remaining days here, but also that my college years won't become my best years, and that even better days lie ahead. Perhaps it takes just a lonely walk across campus to remind me of the importance of that.

3 comments:

  1. As great as Quinnipiac has been, if I didn't know there weren't better things waiting for us post graduation I'd be a lot more reluctant to leave too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only thing I really miss is having many of my friends within walking distance but there have been so many more experiences since graduation. (Okay, I also miss some sleeping in.)

    Why not make part of your post an invite to your readers asking them to share how they feel?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great article. I feel the same way, walking past my old dorms, reflecting on the past.

    ReplyDelete